OWL 7-9 Administration
Updates from Unitarian Universalist Church of Charlotte
The Need: In just the last 5 years our teens have begun to rely on media for their social interactions. The OWL 7-9 curriculum we are currently using has not been updated since 1999.
We are offering supplemental material which includes movies, websites, and social media sites as a supplement to the program to hopefully more fully engage the class. The material is posted below, by session.
Equipment/Resource Needs: Will need internet connection for the web-based media, a TV for the movie and TV show clips, and a computer and projector for the PowerPoint presentation; the clips may work better with the projector set up. The following media are needed: the movie, Juno; the movie, MurderBall; the DVD of DeGrassie Season __; the documentary, (Sex)abled; a copy of the Learning Channel's Baby Story; the web site “That’s not Cool”; other optional material.
- Elissa Webber's list of recommended GBLT books
- Elissa Webber's list of recommended love and sex books
- Laid: The Book, reviewed by Karen Rayne
- Sexpertise: Real Answers to Real Questions about Sex (2008), by Robin
Sawyer. He's a University of Maryland professor who teaches a very popular Human Sexuality course. Book is Q & A format, based on questions his students asked & what he taught, very funny & factual & conversational all at once.
- List of Movies for OWL Groups. This is a spreadsheet of the movie recommendations that have passed through the OWL-L listserv, which leaders have found to be helpful in facilitating discussion inside and outside of the classroom lessons.
- Lost Children or Lost Parents of Rockdale County (PBS)
- The Education of Shelby Knox
Return to OWL for Grades 7-9